Friday, December 29, 2006

Another New Year and a boring Post...

Another year passes by this weekend. Old calendars will be replaced with new ones on the wall – where ever they are still used… Some will party through the weekend, others still wondering what to do…

I am probably one among the others… For a few days now, I have been beleaguered with the question on what my plan for the New Years Eve is… every one seems to have a standard question on this. I wonder if not having any plan is a plan in itself… I can claim it to be so – if I can loan from what PV Narasimha Rao once said about his governments’ indecision on Ayodhya issue “Deciding not to take a decision is a decision too”.


Well, that’s it for me… I have decided not to have a plan. For that matter, I am still clueless how the New Years is any different. Unless you are sure of dying within next one year, every other day is a New Year day…. Ok…somewhat over philosophical… I take that back. Neither do I want to get into a rant of how New Years is a western celebration…

Actually my dilemma is more basic…wife is out of town, friends are busy parenting this weekend, work is on a slow lane – a long weekend (two in succession actually) suddenly looks too much of a respite. Though I have a pretty long ‘to-do list’… I am not sure if that would count as a decent plan to have for the New Years…

So in nut-shell I am still looking for a socially acceptable answer to “What’s the plan for New Years”…

Another question that’s likely to rounds next is – “What new year resolutions (NYR) did you make?”… Damn!!! This never goes out of fashion… Somehow cliché’ never killed it….

It still lives… in spite of the fact that NYRs are just that…resolutions for that day – with a shelf life of barely a few weeks into January. Actually I do have a good claim to having kept an old NYR… when I resolved not to make any more NYRs.

I don’t know why you are still reading this totally boring post – I am just yanking off at the keyboard just to alleviate my own boredom.

The mass emails wishing me well for the New Year are back… wonder how many of them would care to send these wishes if they had to pay for those e-cards or emails.

News Channels and papers are back too with their routine New Year masala’s…

Vote for the Man of the Year… Indian of the Year, NRI of the Year, Bangalorean of the year, Mumbaikar of the year, Chinch-pokli’te of the year, Politician of the year, Sportsman of the year, Actor of the year, Item girl of the year, Reality show hero of the year, Idiot of the year,...

(Bore of the year (this post is my self-nomination))… If you want to vote for me...please send an SMS instructing your bank to transfer money to my account.

Kya tamasha hai…? Actually it just doesn't stop there... there are also contests on for phone of the year, car of the year, bike of the year, Mp3 player of the year, pyjama of the year, underwear of the year.... and so on. Don't worry - the latter categories too will come next year for real...

TIME just kept it simple this year – announcing that YOU and I all; are the winners… Wonder why YOU and I lost last year though…and all the previous years… Damn!!! They didn’t even tell me so far…

New year's day seemed to have some meaning sometime back... or maybe it was just the childhood factor - when you try to seek some pleasure and meaning in everything. A new calendar actually used to be brought - and first thing one would do was to note down which day birthdays and holidays were on... The New Year eve TV shows were the celebration event for the family... Thank God there was no 'remote' back then to spoil the fun.

Maybe I am just getting old...

No comments:

ShareThis